The Town of Hampden was settled in the early 1800's. The township was known for fine farmland and good pasture for sheep and cattle. Ample water from Crawfish Creek helped with this. As the town developed there was an influx of European immigrants. Tobacco became a popular crop.
The establishments of townships gave the Town of Hampden an area of approximately 36 square miles. Hampden remains a rural township today. Here is a map of Hampden Township.
Back to Government page